I go on psychotic rants about random shit on a regular basis. A lot of times these rants revolve around selfish people who think that they are way more important than they actually are. Naturally I decided to post these rants in a blog for everyone to see because I think that I am way more important than I actually am. Expect low brow commentary on any and everything with a liberal use of the word douchebag. And lots of commas. Lots and lots of commas.

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

You know what USC admins? Blow me.

Elite collegiate athletic programs are a waterfall of revenue for American universities. We are talking about annual profits reaching as high as $59 million for the Texas Longhorns football program in 2009. Unfortunately we also live in a country where people have such a hard-on for hypocrisy and feigned honor and dignity and the pseudo-innocence of sport that the kids who are responsible for generating that revenue aren’t allowed to see any of it.

You can make the argument for and against NCAA regulations in regards to compensation of its athletes in a compelling and convincing manner no matter which side of the line you happen to fall on. Personally, I say pay the fuckers. Now, the reason I say pay them is because I went to Penn State and I fucking despise Graham Spanier and it would give me joy to no end to see him have to shell out money to the athletes that he views merely as pawns in his grand financial scheme for the university.

Oh, but what about recruiting? Wouldn’t the allure of money pervert the recruiting process? Oh, you mean the recruiting process where 17-year-old kids are shuffled onto campus and treated like demigods? Or the one where there are so many loopholes that a creative alumnus could easily exploit them in hopes of wooing the next super star to his alma mater? Please.

The posturing surrounding recruiting rules and what student athletes are allowed to take or receive from others reeks of hypocrisy. And the penalties are some of the most ridiculous I’ve ever seen. The recent sanctions against USC are an ideal example. I hate sticking up for USC because Pete Carrol is a fucking tool and a half and that piece of shit bailed ship right before the shit hit the fan. Vacated wins? Bull shit. Bowl ineligible? Bull shit. Reduced scholarships? Bull shit. Their sanctions amount to people who were not responsible for the infractions being punished the most. But the worst show of pretentiousness came today when new USC president C.L Max Nikias (based solely on his name go ahead and tell me he’s not a pretentious jerk-off) and the new athletic director Pat Haden made the bold proclamation that they will be, gasp!, returning Reggie Bush’s Heisman trophy because of his part in the infractions that tainted USC’s “good” name. And I use good in quotes because everyone knew they were basically running pro teams under an NCAA banner anyway.

Seriously though, how retarded is that? It’s really just a grand gesture to show the world that they are serious about the penalties. Except that no, it’s not. They are appealing the penalties and I’m assuming this grandiose circle jerk among the administration is supposed to show that the sanctions should be lessened. I have no love lost for USC. As most sports fans would be, I am envious of their success. But even I think it’s fucking retarded to penalize them for doing the shit that I’m sure most other teams do but just don’t get caught. Either way, it's ludicrous for these two USC administrators to make a useless jesture in a shameless ploy to salvage what they can from what will be two horrific seasons of Trojan football.

No comments:

Post a Comment