I go on psychotic rants about random shit on a regular basis. A lot of times these rants revolve around selfish people who think that they are way more important than they actually are. Naturally I decided to post these rants in a blog for everyone to see because I think that I am way more important than I actually am. Expect low brow commentary on any and everything with a liberal use of the word douchebag. And lots of commas. Lots and lots of commas.

Friday, May 28, 2010

Monday is important


When I was about 14 I worked in a small grocery store on a dairy farm. One year on the weekend before Memorial Day I said to an older customer, "Enjoy the holiday." He looked at me like I just punched his wife in the face and lectured me about Memorial Day not being something to "celebrate." His wife was rolling her eyes in a "here he goes again" fashion and frankly, I thought he was being a real prick. His point was that we enjoy a day off at the expense of men and women who gave their life for our country. The ultimate sacrifice. Since I was 14 I laughed about it when he left and talked a whole boat load of shit about that crazy old man who freaked out on me because I told him to enjoy his day off.

I, was an asshole.

Of course I'm still an asshole today, but I look back on that afternoon in 1996 and am disappointed in myself that at the time I didn't understand why that old man made such a big deal about me telling him to enjoy his day. Memorial Day should be a day to spend with your friends and family because they are worth it and because they (I hope) are important to you. But it should also be a day that while you're enjoying your beers and burgers, you take a moment to remember that there is a reason you can do so. People have literally given their lives for us and THAT is why we have a Monday afternoon to spend on the beach. Don't forget that.

No comments:

Post a Comment